There are good grandmothers, and there are great grandmothers and then there is Kingsley’s Jiajia Dora – the very best grandmother! I have put some thought into why my mum is so extraordinary, and here is why:
- She babysits: when I want to take a shower, or sit on the loo, or need to read my emails (OK OK get on Facebook).
- She helps around the house: cooks like a pro, cleans up the kitchen, takes out the rubbish, and it is her absolute pleasure to do so!
- She doesn’t offer unsolicited advice or her outdated opinion (much). Every now and again mum will reference how she did things back then, but I come down hard on her…we have evolved from feeding our newborns condensed milk after all.
- Just shows up with our favourites: both Erroll and I are dealt with like royalty when it comes to yummy treats. Mum bakes ’em; we eat ’em.
- She tell me that I am doing a great job. And you know, I think I am! And by giving me this compliment, mum is doing me the very best of service: buoying my spirits, raising my confidence and wanting her around more.
Yes, we love our Jiajia Dora, Kingsley and I…